Monday, April 28, 2008

The Knitter and the Wheel

After several post on different forums I have found out the my wheel is an Ashford Traditional. It is actually a Kit Kraft versio0ns from the 60's/70's single treadle, single drive, and single speed. On a very positive note, I can get all the extras for if it where a newer traditional.

We have been going through our acquaintance period and are starting to get to know each other. I have figured out treadling and seem to have that down to a consistent motion. Now if we could get our act together and get the draft to stay with the leader to make a single.

I took off the white "leader" , for lack of a better word, that was on the one bobbin and replaced it with some Knit Picks Palette yarn. We've been able to get about 2 inches worth of roving to stay and try to put some twist into it. The attempts at spinning only last 15 minutes or so then I get frustrated and put wheel back in "time out".

Michelle is doing VERY well with the wheel. Every once in while she'll put her foot on the treadle or touch the end of the flyer by the orifice. I had to put the kate under my desk in the cubby area so she would leave it be. I guess 3 empty bobbins look like a fun thing to play with.

On another note, I've gotten creative and built a second spindle. This one is light enough that I can get some rather thin singles from to hopefully ply and make a lace weight. I do know next time I ply it will be on the wheel cause plying on a spindle was NOT very fun and it took a few days of spinning.

No comments: